• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

New Year, New Job

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I am back to employment once again:). This time I will be working from home as a medical coder. I will be doing HCC Coding and Alicia Scott had talked about this in one of the webinars. I did HCC Coding before so this was nothing new. I went through an agency to get this project. I completed the paperwork, took a coding test, took a training course, and completed coding assessments after training. I am ready to go and am waiting for my securedID to come through the mail. All I can say now is I got my dream job: to be a remote medical coder:D. So excited to do what I am trained to do.
I was hoping your search would be a short one - this is fantastic news. Congrats to you and Happy Coding Carolyn!

Dobylady

Blitzer
Just to let everyone know that Christmas 2012 came early for me. On December 21, 2012, I just accepted a job offer from a local pharmacy doing data entry and I start on Monday, January 7, 2013. Even though it is not medical coding, it will give me the work experience in the medical field. I, like many others, have certifications in different medical fields. In addition to having a CPC-A in medical coding, I also have a CPhT (certified pharmacy technician) given by the PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) and also am certified as an administrative medical assistant. I am also studying for my AHIMA CCS-P and, hopefully, will be taking that exam sometime next year. What a way to start the New Year off--with a job!!
Wow....thats exciting!!! A new start and I know lots of new things to learn. U will do GREAT!!!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Unfortunately, Dobylady, I lost that job after being employed two weeks, but I immediately got hired for another position doing HCC Coding and that is what I am doing now.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Wow! What a roller coaster you have been on, but I'm thrilled that you have found your dream job! It doesn't get better than that! Congratulations!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
This position is a contract position and I love doing this type of coding. I was told that this is a possible long-term contract position.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Congrats, Carolyn! That's great news! What company is it? Are the jobs plentiful? How much experience do you need to have under your belt to qualify?

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
TheresaR, I am working for a client through On Call Consulting. The type of coding that I am doing is HCC Coding and Alicia Scott has talked about this several times. I have done this type of coding before and it was with a local healthcare company which does HCC Coding, but only as a contractor and it was for several months. The client that I am now working with through On Call has just finished up the 2011 project and I have been selected to continue with the 2012 project when the client gets it up and running.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Congrats, Carolyn! That's great news! What company is it? Are the jobs plentiful? How much experience do you need to have under your belt to qualify?
TheresaR, I sent you a private conversation so I can send you some information.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Another Job Update: The client changed their mind and decided not to go forward with me on the 2012 project:(! I found out on February 20, 2013 through email. Well, back to job searching . . . again!!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
JOB UPDATE: I have a chance to do some data entry at a local healthcare company that I worked for when I got my CPC-A certfication and got my first taste at actual coding doing HCC coding. I will be meeting with a representative from Aerotek on Tuesday and I passed both the typing and medical terminology tests. I am hoping that I will get the assignment which will last for at 4 weeks.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hope it works out for you!!!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thanks, Ruth. I will keep everyone posted. A temporary job is better than no job.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
This is great news. Having your hand in HCC coding is a good thing. We are going to see more of it in the future.

Alicia Fredericks

CCO Club Member
Hello. Just happened to pickup this thread. It seems to be an update to a thread I posted a reply to a few minutes ago. I'm so glad your journey brought you through to a blessing. The reading of the two posts, was just the positive closure I needed to recenter myself when I get that overwhelmed, discouraged, "See, what's the point" mentality. There is most of the time a storm before the calm. I remind myself that I choose to believe that God has not blessed me with the ability to comprehend such an analytical language that B/C is comprised of, without giving me the opportunity to bringforth a testimony of how He never forsakes us. Thank you. Nvr Gv Up.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Unfortunately, there was no job at the time. The Aerotek representative lied to me about a job that didn't exist just to get me to the office. The rep just wanted to meet me and show me that the office was a real office. I never contacted Aerotek again after that incident.

Sparky

Hello Everyone, I am in Carolyn's shoes...............since moving out of the state of Pennsylvania, currently in Ohio (don't know how long); there are NO opportunities out here whatsoever. I too been applying far and wide even through staffing agencies, passing every test they throw at me, giving false hopes and hopeless dreams. ALL YOU are told is, "UNFORTUNATELY" you were not the most qualified candidate or we went with a more qualified person for the position. Carolyn I feel you girl and don't know how we can overcome this misfortune but something REALLY has to turn around for us. I don't know what these companies are looking for??? I mean for all of us that are unemployed whether we have a high school diploma, some college, hold a degree in whatever, went through trying times, credit not so good (WHAT DOES YOUR CREDIT HAVE TO DO WITH GETTING EMPLOYMENT), starting salaries that we made 10-20 years doesn't cut it in today's standards let alone trying for find more than one job when you get even get one to survive!! So far I wasted time and money on education I can't even use. Anyway, good luck Carolyn on your search hoping something comes your way. Again, I will be offline for awhile. Take Care.

Sparky

My last comment was about strictly for Administrative Assistant positions, receptionist, mail clerk.........................in hospitals, doctor's offices, even a veterinary hospital. God Forbid I said I had training in Medical Billing and Coding. And I have 19 years under my belt in the administrative field. Go figure.